Saturday, July 26, 2008

Danger, danger!!

So we had a fire in our apartment this week. Here's the whole "exciting" story: I was sitting at the computer after I had just gotten Brooklyn down for a nap. I smelt smoke coming in our window, so of course I thought it was one of our stupid neighbors burning something. Well, the smoke got worse so I went on my balcony to investigate. It looked like the smoke was coming from the apartment below us where a handicapped lady lives (little did I know she had moved out, I'm such a great neighbor!). So I grabbed my phone, dialed 911 and ran downstairs to bang on the door and see if I could get it. Then I thought, "I wonder if it's my dryer?" So I ran upstairs while on the phone with dispatch and opened our bathroom door where the dryer is, and sure enough, our dryer was "in distress." I turned it off, and opened the dryer door and TONS of smoke came flooding out. So I ran out (while still on the phone), grabbed my purse and Brooklyn out of the crib and ran out. Fire trucks showed up about 30 seconds later and went in to investigate. They came right back out and put their big masks on and ran back in. So we stood outside for a while, while they did their job, all the while I'm freaking out since I'm due in 3 weeks (less now). Anyway, luckily no one was hurt and there is only smoke damage to our stuff. The cleaning people have been in to start cleaning everything and we're moving to the apartment below us (with new carpet! YEA!). It's been stressful week, and poor Brooklyn is feeling the brunt of it. I'm just trying not to go into labor all the while. : ) Unfortunately, my mom had just sent a ton of new baby boy stuff, and that was what was in the dryer, so it's a total loss, but luckily we have renter's insurance. Anyway, that's our drama for the week. We feel EXTREMELY blessed to all be healthy and safe. It could have been MUCH worse if we had not caught it in time. Needless to say, I don't think I will ever leave the house with the dryer going in the future. As soon as I'm able, I'll post some pictures of the dryer. I know, you can't wait can you? : )

I also need to thank our AMAZING friends for helping us out SO much this week. The Rigtrups, Bakers, and Strattons have made it so much easier for us through this stressful time. They have lent us clothes, let us stay-over, baby-sat Brooklyn, fed us, you name it! Thank goodness for such great friends. And we're so grateful for a wonderful, caring Bishop too. We love you guys!

9 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, how scary!!! I'm so glad you are all OK.

I've been thinking about you a lot lately - there's a girl on Project Runway that looks just like you. ;-) She's one of the best designers, too.

How are you feeling? Are you ready to bring your little one home in a carseat, instead of stowed behind your belly button?!

Julie said...

That is crazy! I'm so glad that you are okay. I hope that you are feeling good. We did miss you at the reunion. I love seeing on your blog though.

Nathan and Nicole said...

Oh man, Marcie I am soo sorry! My mom just called and told me. You guys are in our prayers! Love you!!

TexasTurleys said...

Hey Marci- It's Tamiel, How scary for you guys! I am so glad you all are safe! I am glad the ward is taking care of you guys - what a stressful time, right before the baby comes!

Brooklyn is gorgeous by the way, my girls loved looking at your blog!

Snyder Family said...

I am glad that all is well. That is a scary thing, having your house on fire.
You are getting closer and closer to having that baby. We will keep posted.

Kiirsty said...

Holy Moly! So glad you're okay! No lack of excitment around your place, is there? Take it easy and good luck with the new little one!! I hope it all goes smoothly and I can't wait to see pics!

The Stratton's said...

We also feel really bad that this happened right before baby 2 makes his debut--seriously stressful. Although I do have to say that we have LOVED having you over at our house. It really has made our last week here even better.

Deven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Davis said...

Oh noooo! I am so glad that it was only smoke and not a full on fire. You must be superwoman to be moving this late in pregnancy. I am glad all is well with you and your family.